- I think this is one of the longest Chester that I have gone without posting.
- Funny thing is that I have tons to talk about, just waiting for the right time.
- Politics is really amazing me right now, from the blind sheep to the flip flopping.
- The nurse spends enough time in a hospital each week to have two family members hospitalized right now, just does not seem fair.
- I hate hospitals already, even more so when they make me sick.
- My immune system still kicks ass, but this weird bug/cold/flu thing lingers enough to make me want to go to the doctor.
- Working on a project for TCCC or The Coca Cola Company.
- It sounds funny when a Colombian says that he has to work some more hours to make that Coke money.
- The irony of inside jokes… I guess.
- Some days I feel like unleashing the inner douche-bag full force on some people.
- There are too many bullies in the world.
- Passive aggressive bullies are the worst.
- You know the ones that don’t get at you directly but try to do it through third parties.
- Come right at me fools, you might get the full douche bag treatment.
- Nuke and I decided that douche bag was ok to use.
- Daniel’s kids are growing up so quick its making me feel old.
- So is my niece, she just turned 12.
- She probably does not know that I got my first tattoo after she was born and it always reminds me of her.
- If you take your under 12 year old kids to a rated R movie, you are a douche bag.
- If you then leave the kids unattended in a movie that just showed sex and guts all over to take a phone call outside the theater, you are a bigger douche bag.
- People like that make me long for totalitarian regimes that will control who and who cannot procreate.
- Sarcasm, is it still lost on most people.
- Humor and wit alone do not make sarcasm funny, the other person has to laugh or get it… otherwise you are just a douche bag.
- We have become regulars at a coffee shop locally… I knew not because of Yelp but because I was greeted by a high five coming in.
- Why can’t the Vietnamese place be open on Sundays?
- Facebook might really change the way we look at relationships completely.
- Its like having TMZ follow just your friends.
- I still use it as my food porn repository.
- I have been thinking about unleashing politics rants… then again, I lost lots of friends the last election.
- I was glad to lose them though.
- Have you seen the Newsroom yet? Sure its fantasy, but it gives me hope that the real republicans are hiding somewhere looking for a way out of the hostage situation their party turned into.
- I am not cool enough to call myself an independent.
- I used to consider myself a republican and a JR Senator from IL changed that in 06.
- I also share views with this rant from The Newsroom, said it back on 08.
- I think this is one of the longest Chester that I have gone without posting.
I felt ranty today and started a post but then I figured I might as well just ramble.
- I never thought I would get into the whole renfest dressing up thing, but I now have a hat and an idea for a whole character.
- I guess that is probably the interesting part of the whole dress up thing, the story behind it.
- It keeps your mind occupied and allows you to forget about the election.
- I have been holding back because I don’t want to have to unfriend more people.
- The stupid meter was almost broken recently with people really pushing its measuring limits.
- I am not implying that I am all that smart either, but at least I try to not be stupid.
- When do people just stop trying, maybe some just never tried at all.
- Back to the renfest, I consumed a turkey leg.
- Way more impressed with the apple dumpling.
- I have to write a post about manliness.
- I might actually upgrade to a straight razor shaving in the near future.
- More effort but way better results.
- Ingrown hairs are angry little pains.
- I have some BBQ sauce that I need to mail.
- It taunts me every time I see it and makes me feel like a procrastinator.
- More like I am getting old and forgetful.
- I want to shave all the pets in the house.
- My throat feels like I am going to cough up a hairball every morning.
- It could just be that allergies are getting to me.
- I need to get back into a workout routine.
- I have to find a bar near the house that has the Bears game every Sunday.
- The nurse has a style of cooking totally different than mine.
- I am learning tons of new stuff and coming up with great new ideas.
- We work well together in the kitchen, its like a little dance.
- I am starting to get the itch to go into teaching.
- I knew I would end up becoming one eventually, but I think it might be near.
- First getting set up financially though, then teaching.
- Longboards might be my favorite place to eat fast food.
- Pandas might make me very sleep deprived over the course of this week.
- I love when I write a sentence that seems like should never fit in with reality.
Just like our country does not have a State language, we don’t have a state religion. For a long time the argument of separation has had a lot to do with meddlesome church people… you know the fondling type. I am now starting to think that it should be used so that hearing people get political does not make me want to go from an affair with atheism to full on marriage.
Secularism is something that transformed a whole region in Canada. It is an interesting chapter to read about. I like it because it makes swearing in French fun specially every time that Spyder cringes. I do get physically punished in the process, which to some might mean that my Catholic upbringing did its job steering me to BDSM. Now if I could only have ballroom butt… inside joke.
What pissed me off this morning on the radio was hearing Chuck Norris get all political and mix religion. Oh man, I don’t even know where to start. I am not even sure if he was going all New World Order tin hat foil or just simply being stupid. The thing is that to use the whole evangelicals should vote, and then assume that it means that they won’t vote for Obama is what bothers me. To call out someone because of socialism while using your religion as a springboard (which by the way its all about being your brother’s keeper) makes me think that logic is not something we are allowed to use as Americans anymore.
You can have all the political views you want, but don’t call on your “congregation” to vote not even for the Mormon, just against the socialist is kind of weird. If the country is going in the wrong direction, is a more religious nation the right direction? When did the republican party get all hijacked as the Christian party?
Keep on beating those drums people and see how more and more people leave the republican party. You will have lots of fun talking to empty chairs with a bunch of tea party people.
At least you will have Chuck Norris on your side.
Nothing to do with the old movie or the more recent adaptation. Somehow my brain thought of this title to the rant that is really pissing me off lately.
I had a million reasons to come back to Kansas City but once of the cool ones was that a good friend was already saving me a spot in an indoor soccer league. We will come back to this in a bit.
I love the sport of soccer. I like watching it live and playing it a lot more than actually watching it on TV unless it is the world cup. The game is not exciting to watch on TV unless the level of play is at a very high level. Now to watch it live or play it is another story. I am not a soccer nut by any means, but I do have favorite teams in all the mayor leagues and I keep up with some of the international stuff.
Back in Chicago I was very curious about playing in an indoor league. I played outdoor in highschool and tons of street soccer back in Colombia. Indoor was completely foreign to me but it seemed like something that would be a lot easier to play and a great way to get in shape, or at least as an excuse to stay in shape. I talked to a couple of friends and they told me that it was a horrible idea unless I wanted to end up with a broken ankle. It had happened to one of my college buddies brother. So I steered clear. The way the story was told to me, and I hated the fact that it had that qualifier is that the “Mexican” teams were very dirty and took it way too seriously. As it was explained to me there were other nationalities in the hispanic community there but none dirtier than the team that played under the Mexico flag.
When I moved back up to Chicago my cousins and I played “touch” football one weekend. After seeing how they went full force with no pads I could see hospital visits in my future. I said no thanks to future inqueries to join their “fun” games. I guess I am officially old when I don’t think blowing out a knee should be a part of my weekend activities.
Fast forward to my KC friend talking about indoor. The selling point was that it was a co-ed league so there would be no dirty play. Also that it was an amateur league so the play was not very competitive. I was excited and even after the first game it looked like a promising thing. I was looking forward to getting in shape so I would be able to be more than just a sub but actually play entire periods.
Chimpo made fun of me on twitter before I started and thank Jebus that it was not profetic when he mentioned a broken leg on his little jab.
The second game that I was a part of was against a team where the guys all looked like they played soccer every day and on top of it were on roids. The girls on that team were also quick. First ball I get, first intimidation kick I get right to my shin. Lucky for me years of soccer and martial arts have killed enough nervs in that area that it barely registered.
It was a slaughter. The shots at our goal resonated throught the whole sports complex. I think the score was like 11 or 12 to 1 by the end of the match. It had the feel of when small country teams play the dream team in the olympics. It was pretty silly to have that level of team play with the amateurs.
The following week I had a personal thing come up so I could not make the match and that is when the drop that filled the cup happened.
Two of the girls that play in our team are related. Mother and daugther. They are both good soccer players. The daugther is probably one of our best players overall. Great speed, great ball management and can probably kick harder on goal while running than I can. This is a second hand account of what happened because I was not there.
One of the “Hispanic” teams played against our team. Again I hate the fact that it has to be identified as that and it is a little embarrasing since I am hispanic. I was not there to confirm nationalities either… actually I am pretty glad because I would have been happy to lend my swearing skills to the encounter. One of the girls fouled our best girl pretty badly and an actual physical altercation ensued. Mother defends daughter and they both get suspended for 10 games (so basically the rest of the season and into the next one.)
I am pretty new to our team and have only been to that All American Sports a handful of times throught the years. From what I hear the place has become all about taking people’s money and not really providing a service. Our team is pretty much dissolved since both our captain and our best players are not allowed to play. Granted they were involved in a confrontation but who goes full force in an amateur league where you are playing just for fun.
I am pretty dissapointed that I won’t get to play soccer on Fridays anymore. I might get in shape and eventually play outdoor again. They all have the possibility for injury. I know some of the people that play soccer are going to start playing kickball… I guess a safer alternative. Maybe it is better to just stick to the home gym.
Just before begining to write this I did check to make sure that my buddy Nuke had not started his post. I was visiting when we got into the subject of “who owns your facebook wall.” I think he will have an interesting post about the subject and I am really looking forward to commenting on what he writes. This did spark a long discussion and a lot of thoughts in my head.
I started blogging back in 2004 from Michigan. I still travelled back to Chicago quite a bit, and even though I did make an awesome friend in Michigan thanks to my blog locally, my best friend is all the way out in California. My blog did not really go local until I moved to Kansas City. I have met many of the commenters on my blog, followed a ton of new people and created awesome relationships outside of the internet world. I loved the KC bloggin community, it felt like a family. Then came twitter and it changed the landscape completely.
I like a lot of the people I met through twitter and it is a great place to find people to do stuff with on short notice. I do DM people more than actually tweet so its more like an overgrown rollodex for me. I do hear that people have discussions and chats with the site, but I have not really seen it as a platform and besides harrassing meesha, XO, Nuke and The D I really don’t seem to get much out of my miliage there.
Writting on a blog does not only take inspiration, it takes actual effort. The time it takes to type an entry here I could have tweeted all about how many times I pooped today and how all of a sudden I have more regular bowel movements. Yeap, some people tweet that crap… literally. As amusing as it is, I don’t feel like I own my twitter account and have gone back and forth between open and closed to only friends.
With facebook it has never been a question for me, its a communication tool for those people I know. My soapbox has always been my blog. Facebook is more like my livingroom. Facebook merges not only the world of my friends and family with internet buddies, but also people I met via twitter. Linkedin has been kept mostly business and I might connect with you in linkedin but not friend you.
My facebook has always been about foodporn mostly because I know it annoys some of my friends, and it makes others hungry. Its fun to taunt people with food the have had but have no immediate access to. I don’t get too political in there, and really don’t anywhere anymore. I do feel like I own my wall and my connections. If I don’t like what you are posting (hate related stuff mostly) my connection to you is severed. I do like debate and civil conversation, but the moment that something becomes about namecalling or hate I really don’t want it there. Just like I would not want it in the livingroom of my home. I like my wall to feel like a place of safe exchange, not a place to take dumps.
I know I don’t own my wall, facebook owns it. I do own this blog, the domain and the content here. I don’t often delete comments here unless I don’t like you or your message. Careful though, don’t assume that just because you have an opposing view I don’t like you. I do like intelligent debate. Sheeple, not so much.
This weekend visiting the KC Ethnic Festival I felt amazing. It was not just the company of my awesome nurse, which does make things that much more fun. It was the feeling that human can find things to relate with each other (awesome food) rather than things that separate us (the never ending hateful posts on facebook recently.) That feeling of how many people can come together and share something is what I felt in the bloggin community here in KC.
I know this is going around in many circles, but it does have a point or common theme. I miss the debate that blogs used to create, I miss the exchange of ideas, but most of all I miss the sense of community. The bloogsphere here in KC used to feel like a nice hangout and facebook used to feel like it had the potential to continue that. Today as their stuck plummets facebook reminds me more of myspace than it should.
In the world of the internet we all know that we seldom go backwards. Not sure if we can get back to blogs or not but it is a nice dream isn’t it.